Thursday, December 1, 2016

Heartless - No Spoiler Review

"Sometimes your heart is the only thing worth listening to."

Marissa Meyer has the ability to take a classic story and make it into a captivating story with so many twists and turns. This is the 4th book I have read by Marissa Meyer and her writing style seems to dazzle my soul with every book I read by her. I become so fascinated and entwined into her story that I totally want to escape into her fictional world.

I have always enjoyed the Alice in Wonderland story and truly have not thought much about the Queen of Hearts until now. Heartless is not really a retelling but a creative telling of the Queen of Hearts. You could read Heartless without knowing the story of Alice in Wonderland, but oh how it enhances both stories when you have the background of Alice in Wonderland.

Catherine wants nothing more than to become a baker at her own bakery. It is her ultimate dream until she becomes charmed by the mystifying Jest. Catherine is truly determined to discover her own destiny but is also mindful of her parents and the Kings desires. But in a land full of magic, deception, and mad hatters, ones fate may take many twists and turns.

The character development was wonderful in this book. Yes there are some things that may be confusing if you have not read Alice in Wonderland, but with a little creative imagination you will be ok. There are so many moments in this book where I could not believe the direction that it went. The heart will take many turns throughout this book especially the ending.

There are a few moments in the book where I wish there was a little more world building or some more details were provided. Some things may have been just a little rushed but overall it did not affect my overall understanding of the book. I think ones imagination is extremely important when reading Heartless. You might have to read between the lines a bit which I think is rather exciting.
I absolutely loved the banter between Catherine and the Jest. Also, loved Catherine's demeanor around the King. Her love for lemon tarts and macrons totally had me baking while reading. This book makes me totally rethink Alice in Wonderland and I may have to revisit the book. Catherine is certainly a dreamer in a world full of wonder and possibilities. Sometimes our dreams and desires can change our hearts forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment